//////////// COLD COMFORT ////////////
After a long summer we’re kind of itching to get back into the real surf season. If you need a new suit for the approaching storms then dive in and check out the latest and greatest wetsuit creations. Below are the best of the bunch for the 2018/19 winter surf season. Click in below and feel the warmth of winter…
//////////// WETSUIT WONDERLAND ////////////
There’s no excuse to not surf right through winter. Wetsuits are so technically advanced these days that getting knackered tends to happen before the cold kicks in. Here are a few pointers in getting your new superhero suit.
1. SUITS YOU SIR! It sounds obvious but getting a wetsuit that fits you is your main priority. Too loose and you’ll get flushed with cold Atlantic salt and do some top-notch swearing. Too tight and you’ll go purple and if you’re trying it on in a warm shop may sweat like you didn’t know you could. There are plenty of tall/short options these days so whatever your shape there’s a suit for you out there. Getting it on and off shouldn’t be a struggle or a fight. The right suit is like a favourite driving glove. So figure out what entry works for you be it back zip, chest or zipperless. Be aware that one brand’s ‘Medium’ isn’t the same size as others, so support your local shop and try on the suits that fit your budget and needs to get the perfect match.
2. GET THE RIGHT SUIT Do you surf for three hours or one? Do you tend to sit and chat a lot or are you motorboating around the lineup maxing your wave count? A 6mm hooded suit might be too hot for a frother, so there’s always the 5mm and separate hood to consider.
3. ACCESSORISE A good suit is the foundation of your winter armour but don’t stint on the bits and bobs. Good gloves and boots finish off your get up. You get what you pay for and again fit is critical. As for mitts versus gloves that’s your call.
4. REPLACE? RENEW? REPAIR? If you need a new suit fair enough, but check out your old one. Could it be repaired and used as a second suit? Quality wetsuit repairs are amazingly cheap and well worth the effort and a back winter suit is always a good idea, so one is always veering towards being dry. Or at least not caked in ice.
5. SURF SMART Your wetsuit is your defence in the cold war, but in any war, it’s winning the little battles that count. Rinse and dry your suit, on a proper hanger, nowt worse than a frosty suit. Use changing mats/Dry Robes to keep you warm before you jump in. A flask of favoured hot beverage will get you internally heated between sessions. For icey suits a gallon container of hot water chucked in your wetsuit bucket can warm it a bit on the way and then you can pour it over at the beach for a toasty change. Commit to the session, don’t ‘umm’ and ‘aah’ for twenty minutes losing vital temp and froth levels.
Wetsuit Retailer Guide
Down the Line
The wetsuit fitting specialists. With over 25 years experience, the staff know all the little nuances between the brands to ensure a perfect fit. Stocking a large range of wetsuits and accessories from all the leading brands, including Billabong, C-Skins, O’Neill, Patagonia, Rip Curl, Vissla, Xcel, Zion.
One of Europe’s largest suppliers of wetsuits and surfing hardware with over 20 years of wetsuit fitting experience and excellent technical skills to help you get the right suit at the best price. Come and see us or our shop “Sorted Surf Shop”. Brands O’Neill, Rip Curl, Xcel, Billabong & C-skins.
Europe’s largest range of surf hardware, in store and online. Wetsuits by Tiki, Patagonia, O’Neill and Rip Curl. Surfboards by Tiki, Chilli, LSD, Vampirate, Torq, NSP and many more. Plus factory outlet store for ex-demo and end of line bargains!
West Coast Surf Shop
We have been selling surfing wetsuits from our Abersoch shop for 25 years and online for over 15. We specialise in Rip Curl, Patagonia and C-Skin. There are always over 50 surfboards in stock for both beginner and expert. Call in for Ray-ban sunglasses and Patagonia technical clothing.