Wales’ junior champions were crowned this weekend at the Welsh National Junior Surfing Championships 2022 sponsored by PuraVida, MiPost, and Power-2GO.
The contest played out over the 7th and 8th May at Freshwater West in Pembrokeshire, with all competitors putting on great surfing displays for the judges and supporters on the beach.
Saturday brought a small swell and cross-offshore winds, forcing surfers to go all-out to make the most of the challenging conditions. Helped by an incoming tide, the waves built to shoulder-to-head high through Sunday. Entrants had more canvas to work with as the battle for finals places played out.
Among the highlights, Josie Hawke continued a run of fantastic results gained in 2021 to take first in the U12 girls category. Taylor Shelmerdine topped the podium in the U14 girls and placed fourth in the U16 girls – a group eventually won by Katie Davies on the back of consistently high scores.
Eddie Waring proved that he’s a talent to watch out for in future, being presented the Paul Ryder award for best up-and-coming surfer.
1. Dexter Cromwell
1. Josie Hawke; 2. Taylor Shelmerdine; 3. Summer-Marie Moore; 4. Florence Curran-Hughes
1. Taylor Shelmerdine; 2. Caitlin Morris; 3. Indi Lynch; 4. Poppy Owen
1. Tomos O’leary; 2. Arthur Buick; 3. Elijah Jones; 4. Luca Owen
1. Katie David; 2. Poppy Owen; 3. Anna-Rose Merchant; 4. Taylor Shelmerdine
1. Eli Perrins Davies; 2. Euan Buick; 3. Eddie Waring; 4. Coby Williams
PSR Award for best up-and-coming surfer, in memory of Paul “Spyder” Ryder
U18 Girls Longboard
1. Anna-Rose Merchant; 2. Nell Saddler; 3. Evelyn Reed
U18 Boys Longboard
1. Blake Jones; 2. Seth Reed
1. Eli Perrins Davies; 2. Blake Jones; 3. Euan Buick; 4. Arthur Buick
1. Charlotte Eales; 2. Katie David; 3. Betsy Owen; 4. Indi Lynch
Huge thanks to all our competitors and spectators for being part of another great Welsh National Junior Surfing Championships. A massive thank-you also to our sponsors @puravidaboardriders #MiPost and @power_2go for their terrific support.
A big shout of appreciation also to: Christian Surfers UK; Sport Wales; and WSA (Welsh Sports Association).